It turns out that eggplant is now one of my most favorite foods and it runs neck and neck with yellow squash. I have to tell you that this wasn’t always true. As a matter of fact I used to hate eggplant and squash until I found a way to cook them to my liking.
It was my step mom’s delicious yellow squash recipe that caused me to fall in love with squash. And it was a crock pot Indian recipe that I tried years ago that made me love eggplant.
While this recipe tastes so good you would think the cook was in the kitchen all day making it but instead it is so quick and easy to prepare. All you need is four (4) major ingredients: spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, croutons and eggplant.
And I have to tell you that my husband absolutely loves this recipe too. So if you make it and like it let me know.
My Easy Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
1 extra large eggplant (peeled and sliced slightly thick)
8-10 cups of garlic spaghetti sauce
3-4 cups of shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
3-4 Tablespoons of cooking oil
1-2 Tablespoons of Lawry’s seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder
2 cups of ranch style croutons (or any kind of croutons you may prefer will work) or
1 cup of Italian bread crumbs (sprinkled over the sliced eggplant)
1 large oblong glass dish/pan
1 sheet of aluminum foil (enough to cover)
Preheat oven at 345 degrees.
1. Oil the pan.
2. Place eggplant slices onto pan evenly.
3. Sprinkle seasonings/spices and bread crumbs across the top of the eggplant slices.
4. Add spaghetti sauce over the eggplant slices.
5. Spread/sprinkle the mozzarella evenly across the top of spaghetti sauce.
6. Cover pan with foil.
7. Let dish bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until done.
8. Remove pan from oven and if using croutons instead of the bread crumbs place them around the edges of the pan into the spaghetti sauce, cover again and bake for another 2-5 minutes only. Then remove from oven.
It’s ready to serve and enough for 5-6 servings. With a side of butter toasted crusty french bread and a salad it was delicious if I must say so myself, LOL!
I’d like to try this recipe with thin sliced green tomatoes added next time. I will let you know how it goes. Also you can play around with this recipe by adding some fresh mushrooms too.