In the fall there’s nothing like the comfort of Cajun/Southern Style Bourbon Red Beans and Rice. I added lots of meat and bourbon to this recipe with the men in my family in mind. My father, brothers and husband just love this recipe. As it goes well when served with a batch of fried chicken, a pot of fresh collard greens that’s been seasoned and cooked with smoked turkey wings and diced jalapeno peppers along with a pan of buttery hot cornbread. This is what you call real down home southern food that hits the spot every time. Imagine this mouth watering meal served with a with a tall glass of sweet tea or sweet ice cold lemon limeade. I sure can.
Crock Pot Cajun/Southern Style Bourbon Red Beans & Rice Recipe
1 to 2 pound bag of dried red beans (soaked overnight in cold water)
in 3-4 Tablespoons of baking soda
1 cup of green bell pepper (diced)
1 cup of red bell pepper (diced)
5 large garlic cloves (smashed and diced)
1 cup of yellow onion (diced)
3 celery stalks (diced)
3-5 Tablespoons of Creole Seasoning
2-3 Tablespoon of cilantro sauce (by Goya)
1 Tablespoon of Goya Adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of lawrys season salt
1/2 teaspoon of hot chili flakes (optional)
3 to 4 whole medium to large bay leaves
2 to 3 Tablespoons of sage powder
4 cups of Basmati or White rice
4 Tablespoons of coconut oil
½ cup of tomato sauce
or garlic flavored tomato spaghetti sauce
2 Tablespoons of sugar
5 Tablespoons of bourbon
1 cup of water
½ cup of water
1 pound package of ground breakfast turkey sausage (browned)
two 1 pound packages of smoked beef sausage (sliced thinly)
or Turkey sausage (sliced thinly)
1 large skillet
4 quart crock pot
Quart sized bowl with lid
1 Colander (strainer)
2 large serving size spoons
~Directions for soaking beans:~
Soak the beans in ice cold filtered water and baking soda overnight or at least for 8-12 hours. (In a quart sized bowl with lid fill the bowl to the top with cold water and sprinkle the baking soda over it and do not refrigerate them but leave them out on the kitchen counter overnight)
The next day strain the water from the beans and rinse the beans very, very well at least a couple of times and then soak them again in clear water for an additional hour (this will help remove all the salt from the beans) then strain and rinse beans again then strain.
~Cooking Directions For Red Beans:~
1. Add 2 Tablespoon of oil to skillet and brown smoked beef sausages, put into bowl in fridge for later.
2. Turn crock pot on high. Then pour the beans, diced vegetables and spices (except for the sage powder and bay leaves) into crock pot then pour just enough filtered water to cover the top of the beans, spices and diced vegetables, no more, (that’s approximately one and a half quart of water) and cook for 2 hours.
3. Turn the crock pot on low Then stir in the browned beef sausages, tomato sauce, sugar, bourbon, bay leaves and 1 additional cup of water. Let cook for 5 hours more. When done please be sure to remove and toss all four (4) of the whole bay leaves before serving.
~Cooking Directions for Rice:~
1. Add 2 Tablespoons of oil to skillet and brown the ground turkey sausage breaking the meat apart as you go so that it is crumbles.
2. Then sprinkle and stir in the sage powder while it it cooking.
3. Add and stir in the rice.
2. Next, pour in enough filtered water to cover the rice mixture, continue to stir while heat is on high. Bring it to a roaring boil for about a minute or so, then lower heat to medium flame and allow it to cook for another 1 minute, then lower flame to a simmer and let it simmer until rice is done and fluffy.
I love to add meat/sausage to my white or Basmati rice but this recipe goes well with just plain rice as well.