It’s been quite an interesting, amazing and busy summer for us this year. As we had some interesting family members to stop by for a visit. Some we haven’t seen in years and so it was so good to see them.
But I tell you I’m the type of person who doesn’t care that much for “popcorn visits” (as my mom used to say). LOL! Why? Well because I couldn’t shop and create a better kind of meal for them. So we wind up having to toss together whatever is already in the pantry and fridge.
Thank goodness we always have cans of blueberry, peach and cherry pie filling in the pantry, deli sandwich meat in the fridge, burgers and franks in the freezer at all times.
So my husband chilled the wine and washed the glasses while I set out a tasty salad and I always make a pot of coffee if anyone wants a cup once the foods all gone.
Well as they drank the wine, ate the salad, enjoyed the snacks, the grilled beef franks, the cheese burgers or deli turkey & cheese sandwiches and finally the cherry cobbler for dessert, we enjoyed the good conversation and spending time to together most of all.
Although we couldn’t roll out the “red carpet” we made sure they felt “at home” serving themselves and then they left us feeling as if they were treated like royalty.
So here’s my recipe.
SWEET & EASY CHERRY COBBLER RECIPE
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1- 21 oz can of cherry pie filling
1 cup of milk
1 stick of sweet butter
1 1/2 cups of filtered water
½ fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 medium sized mixing bowls
2 large mixing spoons
1 quart size baking dish (with glass lid)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. Put stick of butter in the baking dish and into oven to melt. 3. Once the butter is melted remove dish from the oven and set aside.
(Directions for pie filling)
1. Pour ½ cup of sugar, lemon juice, pie filling and water into a bowl. 2. Stir/blend together. Set aside.
(Directions for batter)
1. Put all the dry ingredients and the ½ cup of sugar into mixing bowl, whisk together then add milk and the vanilla extract, mix together well.
2. Pour the batter into dish of butter (do not stir or mix).
3. Pour the pie filling mixture on top of the batter (do not stir or mix) then cover dish with glass lid.
4. Bake in oven at 345 degrees for up to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until done (be sure to check the middle that the batter is done with a spoon).
5. Remove from oven and let it set for 10 minutes before serving.
*This recipe goes well with whipped cream or some ice cream on top.*
* You can use this recipe and try various kinds of pie fillings like peach or blueberry too.*