I love….. love, love some PIZZA! And I think homemade is the best. So here’s our most delicious recipe. I hope you love it too.
“Homemade Deep Dish Pizza Recipe”
1-2 large pie crusts (Bisquick or Jiffy- follow recipe on box or buy ready made pizza crust like Boboli or make your own fresh homemade pizza crust)
½ pound of ground turkey or turkey sausage (optional)
½ pound of ground veal (optional)
2 sliced or chopped bell green peppers
2 sliced or chopped yellow onions
2 to 3 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
½ cup of sliced stuffed Spanish green olives
½ cup of sliced black olives
2-3 packages of 6 to 8 ounces of Horizon organic shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of fresh grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup of fresh blue cheese crumbles
1 cup of fresh or dried Oregano
1 cup of fresh or dried Basil
1 cup of dried Italian spices
1 tablespoon of Himalayan sea salt
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
2 large cans Red Pack puree tomatoes (about 5-6 cups or more)
1/3 cup of granulated white sugar
2 cups of oil (can be organic coconut or olive oil)
1 large skillet
1 large cast iron deep dish skillet or deep dish pan or spring form pan
1 large serving spoon
1 Pizza wheel or cutter
1 Pie server tool
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat ½ cup of oil in skillet and add ground turkey or ground turkey sausage, veal and sprinkle with at least half the salt, spices (basil, oregano and italian) onion and garlic powder together in a skillet on top of stove to brown then set aside. (if possible pre-cook this earlier and refrigerate so it will cool down a bit so cheese stays firm in pan before cooking pie)
3. Prepare pizza crust dough- follow directions on pizza pie dough box, make your own pizza dough or use Boboli crust.
4. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil in large deep dish skillet or deep dish pan and make sure entire pan is saturated and covered by the oil.
5. Place pizza dough crust in pan/skillet- be sure to push some of the dough up the sides of the pan because you want the entire inside of the pan to be covered with the dough evenly.
6. Empty 1 or 2 bags of mozzarella onto the pie crust dough by evenly spreading around to cover entire top of crust.
7. Next evenly pour in and distribute the strained, cooled and browned ground turkey and veal on top of the cheese.
8. Pour in 1 to 2 cups of the tomato puree over the veal and turkey, then sprinkle puree with sugar, salt, spices, Romano cheese, onion and garlic powder on top tomato puree evenly.
9. Cover pan and put pan into 350 degree oven to bake for one hour. But halfway thru cooking process (in about 30 minutes) take pan out of oven, uncover then top pizza with a bit of the green peppers, olives, mushrooms and onions then put pan back in oven uncovered to allow pizza to continue to cook for 30 minutes or until it’s totally done.
10. Remove from oven, sprinkle with bits of blue cheese crumbles if you like, and allow pizza to settle for about 5 minutes. Then slice pizza to serving size portions with the pizza slicer tool and and it’s ready to serve.
This recipe can make over 2 pies.