The idea just popped in my head that we should have some BLT sandwiches for dinner and so it was. I always like that BLT’s are light and the fact that I get to sneak in some salad vegetables in them.
Each week my husband and I look forward to what’s going to be on the menu on Friday, because it’s the evening that top’s off the start of a nice and relaxing weekend for us. Were ordinary people and ordinary cooks who like to eat whatever our hearts so desire on the weekends because it’s a reward for a long work week for my husband and for me it’s the time I get to have a decent meal. But at the same time the meal has to be something that’s easy to prepare and light while delicious.
The weather here has been very hot, so for me, summer is already here. So I purchased a cute portable ice maker machine and looking forward to having lots of iced cold drinks such as the iced teas, fruit infused waters, seltzers, limeade, lemonade and iced coffee over the next few summer months. So we have started off now drinking one quart jar a piece of fresh squeezed lemonade every single day already with lots and lots of ice. Gosh how I love iced cold drinks.
And with us trying to eat more nutritious snacks instead of the bad ones, we been eating kale chips and okra chips that I purchase from online and from one of these country stores on the sides of the highways here in the south. And so I have to tell you that I absolutely have fallen in love with the flavor, crispiness and the fact that they are a perfect replacement for us. Although they are quite expensive I still like to buy them and they are gone so quickly in this house so I began to wonder how might I make my own and so I tried making them on my own with fresh Kale and Mustard greens we purchase from the grocery stores and I was so surprised that they came out very tasty. So now I want to keep making them for us every weekend.
So here’s our recipe’s.
#1. Kale & Mustard Greens Chips Recipe
1 bunch of fresh or frozen Kale Greens
1 bunch of fresh or frozen Mustard Greens
(fresh is best)
1-2 cups of spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon of Italian spices
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 toaster oven
1 oval glass dish
#2. Homemade Iced Lemonade Recipe
juice of 1-2 fresh lemons
6 packets of Stevia
1 cup of boiling water
enough ice cubes to fill 2 qt. Jars
2 quarts of cold water
2 Mason quart jars with lids
1 small sauce pan
1 portable ice maker machine
1 lemon press or juicer
BLT Sandwiches Recipe
1 pound of bacon (can be pork, turkey or fake)
1 head of (washed) lettuce (break off the leaf whole)
1 large (washed) tomato (sliced)
8 slices of white or wheat bread
2 oblong glass baking dishes
1 Butter knife
#1. Directions For Kale & Mustard Greens Chips:
1. Set the toaster oven to 125 degrees or 200 degrees.
2. Then lay fresh washed and rinsed Kale and Mustard green leaves (pull off the stems) in on the glass dish evenly, not on top of each other but side by side.
3. Slather on the spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce and olive oil on the leaves.
4. Then sprinkle lightly with the spices. Salt optional.
5. Then place dish in toaster oven and bake 8 to 10 hours or overnight. But after the first 4 hours turn over the leaves with spatula and let continue to bake for the duration.
6. The next morning or after 8-10 hours remove crispy chips from oven and put on a plate, they are ready to serve. You may also put chips in a sealed storage container to eat later.
**I have to tell you that if you prefer to use frozen kale instead of fresh you will have crumbly chips with a lot of stems mixed in. You won’t have any whole large pieces of chips. So that’s why I prefer to use fresh over frozen. But frozen will be OK if you don’t mind the crumbs and stems instead of the larger sized whole chips.**
* basically you can use any kind of green vegetables, I like to use turnip greens, broccoli, spinach and okra. Any of these can be used with this recipe. *
#2. Directions For Lemonade:
1. Boil a cup of hot water and pour the packets of Stevia into the boiling water to melt the Stevia down or else if you just put the Stevia in cold water you will have chunks of undissolved Stevia, so that’s why I melt it.
2. Fill 2 quart jars all the way to the top of jar with ice.
3. Then pour the juice of one lemon in each quart jar.
4. Then fill each quart jar half way with cold water.
5. Then pour in a half cup of the boiling water mixed with Stevia in each jar.
6. Then fill each jar the rest of the way with cold water.
7. Cover tightly with top and shake vigorously for a few seconds in order to mix all the ingredients together.
8. Then it’s ready to drink.
#3. Directions For BLT Sandwiches:
1. Bake 1 pound of bacon in two oblong glass dishes until well done and crispy. (I prefer baked bacon over pan fried because it just seems the bacon comes out softer while yet a little crispy and very well done. And I don’t get burnt with bacon grease popping all over me and the stove top.) 🙂
2. Place cooked bacon on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the oil and set aside.
3. Then lay on clean table or counter, 8 slices of toasted bread and apply mayonnaise to each individual slice. (I like to use a thin coating of mayo on each slice of bread of the sandwich so the sandwich is more moist.)
4. Then lay lettuce leaves and tomato slices on top of 4 bread slices.
5. Then put 5 to 6 slices of bacon on top of the lettuce and tomatoes of each sandwich.
6. Then lay other slice of bread on top. This recipe makes 4 to 5 sandwiches.
7. Then sandwiches are ready to serve.
Serve Them All:
On a large pretty plate I like to lay all the sandwiches together and then on a smaller plate the Kale and Mustard Green chips. I set both plates on the center of the table along with the two quarts of lemonade. And so we eat and drink and enjoy. They say the more the merrier, so every Friday I invite my neighbor over for a bite to eat if she’s home, but if she declines or is not around well as my husband likes to say, “the more for us” Bonappetit!