It’s yet another night for meat loaf in our house. I tell you I just love having meatloaf because it’s about the easiest thing to make and you practically cannot go wrong when it comes to making it.
I also prefer to make mine with lean ground turkey and the kind that’s without antibiotics, vegetarian diet, no hormones and no steroids over making it with ground beef at times.
One of my brothers used to work in a butchers shop and so he used to tell us what goes into the ground beef that’s sold to the public and for the reasons he gave I decided it would be best if I buy my own steak and I purchased a meat grinder to make my own ground beef at home. But lately I decided to go with quality turkey to make our meat loaf and it tastes really delicious.
So I served this recipe of turkey meat loaf with a side of mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes because my husband loves the combination of mashed potatoes with meat loaf and lots of gravy on his mashed potatoes. He’s such a country man. LOL! and we had Flan for dessert.
So here’s my own recipe….its pretty simple and easy to make.
Turkey Meat Loaf
2 Pounds of Ground Turkey
½ large Onion (chopped)
8-10 saltine crackers (broken into crumbs)
1 cup Ketchup
6 stuffed green olives (chopped) (optional)
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 TBS of cane sugar or brown sugar (optional)
Topping Sauce ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups Ketchup
1 cup of BBQ sauce
Large mixing bowl
Glass oblong baking dish
Small sauce pan
Aluminum foil or glass top
Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
1. To make topping sauce put brown sugar, BBQ sauce and ketchup into a small sauce pan to heat for about a half minute (just long enough to melt the sugar) and put aside.
2. Combine meat loaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together with your clean bare hands or mix using a food processor
*(but mix well but try not to over do it, you basically want to just combine everything together lightly and loosely but not over handle the meat too much so do not over mix it toughens the meat.)*
3. Then form and pat the meat loaf mixture into two (2) large loafs.
4. Flatten down the top of the meat loaf a little with a fork so that you can pour half the topping sauce over each loaf and spread the sauce over top smoothly and evenly.
5. Cover and seal tightly the baking dish with aluminum foil or cover with a glass top and place in oven to bake at 400 degrees F for the first 25 minutes.
6. Then turn down the heat to 325 degrees F and remove the aluminum foil/glass top cover and continue to bake the meat loaf for another 35 minutes or longer until done.
*(but be careful not to over cook or burn the bottom of the meat loaf by over cooking it will ruin the meat loaf)*
7. Remove from oven and let meat loaf rest for about 10-15 minutes then pour the other half of the topping sauce over top and it’s ready to serve.